Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Overland and Sea

Got back to Takoradi. The helicopter ride is always cool for the first 10 minutes. We lurch off the ground a few feet and hover, then glide away. After that they get up in the clouds and there is nothing to see, so I read for a bit. Odysseus makes it back to Ithica but is in disguise.

Because I had prepped the servers today was going to be a quick and easy day and I would have most everything done by 5:00. Ah but like Odysseus, the fates conspire to keep me from completing the journey. It wasn't anything as interesting as a cyclops or the wrath of Poseidon, though. Here is what happened: Plugged in the Overland tape drive and flipped it on. Waited for the screen to come up. Waited some more. Noticed the ominous flashing amber light in the shape of a Caution sign. Noooooo! Because it was bought in the US they wanted me to open a US support ticket. They open at 7:00 AM PACIFIC time, which is 3:00 PM here. Wait 5 hours. Call. Wait on hold 30 minutes. Register with support. Read the serial number. Repeat serial number five times. Verify serial number twice. Call back bacause line was dropped. Repeat three times. Lose Internet when power goes out. Phones go through Internet. Wait for Internet to come back up. Call again. Get trouble ticket issued. Was asked other then nothing on the screen and a flashing light, were there any other problems I was having with it? Get an engineer on phone. Drop call and repeat. I now have an open ticket with Overland. But where did my day go?

1 comment:

  1. I made many of the "one step forward and two steps back." That track must be made to get to the finish line. Frustrating I know, as I have been there/done that many times. Looking forward to the scotch.
    Love You, Dad

    ReplyDelete

my space tracker
Travelocity.com Coupons