Thursday, August 5, 2010

Grousing

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to be here working. But let me vent about my day so far.

So far today I have hacked into an EMC SAN (easier than it sounds, it turns out); talked a manager through restarting servers via satellite phone, talked an engineer through configuring his laptop for DHCP via satphone and a translator; set up new user accounts, and sundry things related to AD. All while being constantly interrupted by people with side issues. You can be sitting in the server room surrounded by equipment and wires and working feverishly, banging away at the keyboard like Faulkner, avoiding eye contact with the person hovering over you like vulture, and then then they open their mouth, hesitate, then jump right in with the inevitable opener. "Hey can you look at something?" No, because I'm already looking at something! The only way I could get the DC up was to use a media install off a system state backup that took 12 hours to copy. Now it's up but it still acts like it has to check with HQ before it shows anything. Still waiting on DNS to magically appear.

The Filipinos made squid today at lunch and it stinks like the trash bin behind a Chinese restaurant. Rumor has it salmonella has broken out in the past couple of weeks. I am now eating rice and bread. I can do it for a couple of days but I may need someone to drop ship some pizzas.

2 comments:

  1. Give me an address. The pizza's may not be recognizable but, I will send you what you want. While reading about your trials I recognize myself during a turnaround or a major problem....I was under the gun and loved it. My ability for that may possibly match your ability. That thought makes me feel pretty good.
    Look back later and recognize your accomplishments.
    Your favorite fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yes I understand about enjoying being under the gun. I think you do feel a bigger sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete

my space tracker
Travelocity.com Coupons