Thursday, August 5, 2010

Is Weds still Hump Day when you work 7 day weeks?

There are three of us remaining in the team (see earlier post) and we are all present. The two of them are now snug in their beds but I am up and back at work. Both of them snore terribly. It sounds like two lovestruck toads calling out to one another, and I cannot sleep through that.

Yesterday was a long day and today probably will be as well. The Internet connection that they had wasn't that well-kept a secret and when we arrived the server closet was criss-crossed like a Christmas Tree as people surreptitiously connected more and more ports to the connection. There were at least FIVE rogue wireless networks, all broadcasting DHCP on networks that we are trying to move off of, all undocumented.

About 1:00 AM I noticed a file copy off a server in Accra had aborted. A little checking and I found our servers were overheating and shutting down! The blade center was reporting temperatures of 55 C. No idea whether there really is an issue like the AC in the server closet went out or if the place was simply on fire. We have asked someone to look at it in the morning, which it is now, and I expect a report in a couple of hours. I may have to go all the way back to Accra to deal with this, which would take about 6-7 hours.

3 comments:

  1. When one works seven days a week it is usually because one must hump everyday. This is called a hump week or hump month. Hump it home soon.

    Dad, that scotch is waiting......

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Thanks. I'll be back for some in a few weeks! I think.

    ReplyDelete

my space tracker
Travelocity.com Coupons