Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Slow News Day

Today was low-key... I worked all day and resolved a couple of issues. One oddity was that a number of machines were ignoring external hard drives. You could plug the drives in and they would power up but then the computer didn't recognize or mount them. Apparently Microsoft has a patch that breaks them. The fix is to replace the two usbstor files under C:\WINDOWS\INF with copies from a machine that isn't broken. I'd upload one for people who need it but Blogger doesn't make file sharing so easy.

My African Moment today was watching the Ghana vs Germany match in the patio bar by the pool. The waitresses were all wearing Black Stars jerseys (the uniform of the Ghana team in the colors of the flag with a black stars in the center). Some locals came to watch the game. Germany won but the Ghanians who were watching the game seemed to take it in stride.

Everyone here speaks English, though sometimes the accent is thick. But some people here and there try to teach us phrases in Twi. We're trying but it isn't sticking. If they say something like Wo ho te sen, which is "How are you?" You reply with something like Me ho yeh, medasi which is "I'm fine, thank you" or you can run it together and say "ey-yeh" which is more or less "I'm fine." I didn't learn it; I had to look it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

my space tracker
Travelocity.com Coupons